Chances are that you came to this article looking for more information about online LVN programs. You want to find out more about how these programs work and if you can get the right training to start a career in the healthcare industry. But more importantly, you want to find out if LVN training online is the right choice for you.
If you are serious about starting a new career in healthcare and want to find out all the details about online LVN programs, then you have come to the right place. In this article we will be looking at a number of topics concerning online LVN programs. You will be able to discover that it is possible to get the training you need as well as how exactly these training programs work. We will also give you some tips on how to find the right online LVN programs that can best fit what you are looking for.
You may have some reservations about online LVN programs being effective for your new career. We can understand that and this is why we have created this article. We would like to show you the right way to begin your part to a new and prosperous career without wasting time and money by not knowing the facts. We want to help you and others get the right qualified training to become productive members in the healthcare industry.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at: VNOStaff@vocationalnursingonline.net. We will quickly answer your questions and try to help you out as much as we can.
What Are Online LVN Programs?
Online LVN programs, like all online or distance learning classes are taught on your computer via an internet connection. You will watch videos of lectures as well as reading your class materials on your computer or tablet. There are special forums or chat rooms set up so you can talk with your instructors or classmates when you need a little help or have questions.
If you are interested in distance learning or taking online LVN programs, you will need to have the following:
- A compatible computer or tablet
- A decent internet connection
- A desire to learn
For those asking about the hands-on training, don’t despair. Most online LVN programs now work with your local care givers to properly provide you with the practical training you need. To learn more about online LVN programs, click on the tabs below.
Are There Any Requirements to Enroll in Online LVN Schools?
Like most higher education, there are some requirements that you will need to meet in order to enroll in any of the online LVN programs. While the specific requirements may vary slightly between the different schools or according to state regulations, there are some common perquisites you should know about. Here are some of the more common requirements to sign up for online LVN programs.
- Have a high school diploma or have passed the GED
- Be at least 18 years old
- Pass a drug screening
- Pass a criminal background check
- Completed certain math and English classes
- Be able to post a minimum grade on the Nursing Entrance Exam (NET)
- Post above the minimum score on the ACT, SAT or similar exams
How Can I Find LVN Programs Online?
Picking which of the online LVN programs to go to can be a bit of a challenge. But before you even think about what you should you look for in a school, you will need to find schools to even consider. There are a few different ways that can make finding online LVN programs a lot easier. Here are some of the most common techniques.
- Search on Google or any other search engine for “online LVN programs”
- Utilize our search function in the upper right hand side of this page
- Contact local hospitals and nursing homes HR office for their recommendations
- Talk to current LVNs for their opinions
- Ask family and friends for suggestions
- Contact your State Board of Nursing for recommendations
- Contacting your high school guidance counselor and asking them for advice
What Are Some Tips for Picking Online LVN Training?
Picking the best online LVN programs can definitely put you on the road to success. Instead of throwing a dart at a list of schools, you may want to follow some general rules of thumb when looking at all of the schools. Here are some quick tips on how to find the right online LVN programs.
- You will want to make sure that the school has been accredited
- It should be approved by your state
- Find out what the passing rate is on the NCLEX-PN
- Compare the costs between the schools
- You will have to check to see if your computer can run the software
- Find out if they have a way to get your hands-on training
- If you are able to get tuition assistance
How Do Online LVN Programs Work?
Online LVN programs work pretty much like any other training program. You will attend lectures, have homework and take tests on what you learned. However there are some major differences to point out that either can be exciting or terrifying depending on what kind of a student you are.
- Unlike a traditional school where you are scheduled to attend classes and attendance is taken, those enrolled in online LVN programs are responsible for creating their own schedule to study
- You can study practically any day of the week at any hour of the day as long as you have a computer and an internet connection
- Instead of trying to keep up with the rest of the class, you study at your own pace either faster or slower as long as you understand the material and can pass the exams
- You won’t have to commute a campus for you classes, you can study anywhere you want as long as you have the internet and a computer
- Since everything is done online, you won’t have to wait to get your test and quiz scores as it is graded almost instantly
What is Taught Online?
What if we told you that the types of classes you can take in online LVN programs are basically the same as you would get if you went to a traditional school. Would that shock you? It is true and in some respects, you may be able to get a better education via online.
Some of the classes you can expect to take in online LVN programs include:
- Human Anatomy
- Basic Care Giving
- Fundamental Biology
- Basic Pharmacology
- Emergency Care Procedures
- Safety and Infection Control
- Human Physiology
- Diet and Nutrition
- Medical Privacy Law and HIPAA
How Can I Get My Practical Training?
If enrolling in online LVN programs you will need to have some way to get your clinical practicum, better known as your hands-on experience. There are a few ways you can approach this depending on your specific situation. Here are the most common methods to get your hands-on experience while attending online LVN programs.
- Contact area hospitals, care centers, clinics and nursing homes to offer your help in return for training
- Attend one of the online LVN programs that also helps you locate a training facility for your practical experience
- Check with local healthcare organizations to see if they can provide training hours
The Advantages of Online Training
You might not know it but there some serious advantages to going to school online. Some of these you may not have ever considered before. So what are these advantages that we keep talking about? Let’s take a quick look at some of the best ones for you to consider if you are making a decision to go through online training or not.
- Flexible class schedules
- Study day or night
- Study from anywhere you have an internet connection
- Study at your own pace
- Some online LVN programs are actually cheaper than the traditional ones
- Saving money on gas, parking and meals out
- Great for those with limited time due to full-time jobs or other responsibilities
- Perfect for fast and slow learners since you don’t move on until you are ready
- You won’t have to deal with inconveniences such as traffic and students who are not serious
- It is possible to complete your classroom training faster in online school
- No waiting until next semester because of full classes
- Online learning is considered to a better way to learn new subjects
- Easier to balance your education with your life
- Those with disabilities or sickness can easily study from home
The Disadvantages of Online Programs
While we praise the advantages of online LVN programs, there may be some disadvantages that you could run in to. Since we want you to get the full picture of what you can expect, we will give you a few of the disadvantages that some online students report. While you may not experience any of these disadvantages, you should still be aware of them.
- Might have to invest in a new computer to run programs
- You are responsible for making time to study
- No will stand over your shoulder and make you study
- Procrastinators may have a hard time with no set schedules
- May be a bit difficult for those who are afraid of technology or have no experience using it
- Some students have difficulty adjusting to a lack of an imposed routine
- If you thrive on competition with fellow students you may find yourself without that extra motivation
- Even though you can be contact with students via social media, email or other ways, some students miss the live social aspect of a traditional classroom
- More than a few students felt as if their education was looked down up since it was an online school
- Unlike a normal classroom situation, you most likely won’t get a pat on the back for answering a question right
Now You Know
In our opinion, online LVN programs are a great way to get the training you need to start your new career. The ease and convenience that online class offer make it readily available for most people who want an education but have a busy schedule. Plus you will be getting basically the same quality of training you would get while enrolled in a traditional school.
Even though online LVN programs might not be for everyone, we do highly recommend them. Just remember to find some way to get your practical or hands-on training. With a little bit of research, planning and dedication, you may find that online LVN programs are the best thing you can do for yourself and your budding career in healthcare.